Thursday, September 5, 2013

Journey to the Center of Middle-earth


I began seminary by parsing Greek verbs, and I concluded seminary by visiting the sick and dying. I began seminary by reading, reading, reading. I concluded seminary by being, being, being. For me seminary began with the comforts of home, namely books and essays, and it concluded with much unknown to me, namely the living texts of people’s lives filled with joy and tragedy. It began with studiously working in the library, and it concluded with being present and available for people in unspeakable circumstances completely out of my control in the hospital.

I have not yet found the words to sufficiently express my gratitude for making it from one point to the other, from the comforts of home to the dark corridors of the unknown. But I am indeed grateful for those wizards and lords involved in taking me from one point to the other. In the coming weeks, I will no doubt spend more time reflecting on what in the world happened this summer, but what I can say for now is that this hobbit shall not return home the same.  

Near the beginning of my CPE (clinical pastoral education) experience, the image in Ezekiel thirty-seven of dry bones receiving life proved to be a helpful image for encapsulating what CPE had begun doing for me as a budding pastor and theologian, and this image remained with me throughout the rest of my CPE experience. I was around death and grieving more in those early weeks than ever before. CPE cast me into a host of variegated experiences that opened my eyes to sides of life I had never encountered before, and consequently it added experiential dimensions to my theology and in some sense gave life to the dry bones of my rather academic theology.

In his sermon, ‘A Divine and Supernatural Light’, Jonathan Edwards asserted, “there is a difference between having an opinion that God is holy and gracious, and having a sense of the loveliness and beauty of that holiness and grace. There is a difference between having a rational judgment that honey is sweet, and having a sense of its sweetness.” CPE has given me invaluable experiences that I will carry with me, that have changed me, and it has added dimensions to my theology moving me from opinions and rational judgments to having a sense of God’s paradoxical holiness, tenacious grace, and immeasurable love known to us in the Incarnate Son of God.

CPE has begun giving me this sense by drawing me into the world and rooting me in the soil of the earth, the soil of particular human lives, however broken those lives may be. Indeed, it is in the brokenness and tragedy of people’s lives that my theology has become all the more incarnational, and as my theology has become more embodied than before, I have begun to see that my theology has at its heart the deep love of God pulsating and embracing the feeble human lives in that valley in such need of resurrection, that valley where my once skeletal theology has encountered drug addicts, alcoholics, terminal patients, loving wives, grieving daughters, immeasurably strong mothers, and courageous medical staff. As I have encountered their lives, God has breathed life into mine and has revealed to me what I would stake my life on, namely that nothing can separate us from the love of God known to us in Christ.  

No comments:

Post a Comment