Wednesday, February 9, 2011

A Tentative Top 11 Novels

The Sound and the Fury comes in at #11, though it is more reasonably to be considered as tied for tenth. I am not a literary critic, but when I began reading this I knew I had stumbled onto greatness. It is one of the most difficult novels I have ever read, but it is also one of the most intriguing.














Nausea comes in at #10. This is THE existentialist novel of the 20th century. That’s not merely my opinion but the opinion of many others. Sartre evidently said that he "poured" himself into the writing of it. Reading it was an analogous experience.











The Stranger ranks at #9. I appreciate this as much as the Plague (strange phrase; I never thought I would say I appreciate a plague), but it is simpler though with many subtleties.















The Plague comes in at #8. I must say, in my quite humble opinion, this is Camus’ masterpiece, a gem. It’s worth reading and rereading and rereading. I am certain that I will return to this novel again and again.

















A Tale of Two Cities comes in at #7. I would be hard pressed not to put this in my top eleven. I grew up with this story, and few years ago I reread it. Dickens has a way with plots and interweaving people’s paths. This is an iconic novel and with good reason.














The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn comes in #6. Do not be fooled into thinking this is merely a child’s story, though it is about children. I read this when I was I child, and I read it again last year. It is an American classic not merely because of its unforgettable characters but because of its deeply significant currents of irony and truth, doubt and belief, estrangement and relationship, among other things. This one would rank higher on the list but for the other high quality of the others. I often refer to it as my favorite American novel, but then I remember Moby Dick.







War and Peace is #5. This is one of the slowest novels I’ve read, but by the end of it I, for some seemingly ironic reason, wasn’t ready to part ways with the people who I had met along the way. The chapters are rather short, so that assuages its overall length. I wager a guess that the stories in this novel are some of the most memorable in literature.












Moby Dick is #4. I think this is THE American novel. Sure, the themes are striking. But it’s rather surprising that the beautiful rhetoric was some how American and not British. I read this while road tripping across the United States, and on multiple occasions I found that I had to read it aloud to Esther. It’s an absolutely magnificent piece.















Crime and Punishment comes in #3. Yes, I am an unashamed Dostoevsky fan. Having read it several times, I could sit down even right now and begin reading and be as fascinated as if I were reading it for the first time. Few novels are as layered and intense as this one.Raskolnikov is one of my favorite characters in literature. He is a modern Hamlet.











Anna Karenina comes in #2. Dostoevsky said that this was a flawless masterpiece. How can I disagree? Esther began reading it and could not put it down. I had a similar experience. From the first to the last page, this story is weighted with value.














The Brothers Karamazov comes in #1. After reading it for a second time last summer, I confirmed that yes it is my favorite novel. The lives of the Karamazovs are tumultuous at best. I recommend this novel above any other. Once journeyed, you will never be the same.


1 comment:

  1. You're so predictable. But i might have a slight advantage. I think the only surprise was #6.

    ReplyDelete